Monday, February 2, 2009

Bake bread and rope calves!

Last week was a little crazy at our house. The Jr.High wrestling team was headed to state finals in Richfield, with the number one coach Casy Winn. K.C. Jones 4 time world champion was stopping in Nephi to shoe some good horses and float some teeth. The kids practiced every night but wrestling nights with the horses and cattle. And we made it to church to teach lessons and back to the start of a week.
We love those times that we get to work hard and play hard. Wednesday night K.C. Jones came into town to shoe some horses while Joseph is recovering. Luckily the boys were still roping at 9:30 when he came through. Dixon and his partner Dallin picked his brains about roping the dummy and tieing calves. K.C. had a long day of floating in Ogden and was ready for dinner and bed, but still helped the kids with their goals and dreams.
Of course when he called he asked whats for dinner. Luckily I had started a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup, apple pie and some monkey bread. The monkey bread takes a while, so just to let you know you can be betty homemaker and calf roping mom at the same time I accomplished just that. I started by making dough before i went to get Kyleigh from school, while it was rising I went and picked up all the rope calves to haul to the barn. After dropping the calves I picked up Shad from practice went to the house, cut out the monkey bread to raise again. This time we gathered rope horses and saddled then headed to the barn. Dixon called while Shad and I were roping the sled, and I asked him to put in the bread. After about 30 minutes I realized I wasn't going to escape the roping dummy. I called in recruites to take the bread out of the oven. Grandma Winn came to the rescue, I told her if it was burned to throw it out and if it looked good we would eat it.
When we got home at 10:25 there was dinner all ready. K.C. laughed and thought it was pretty dang good we could have something good to eat and still rope calves. Everything usually works out if you try hard enough. The boys got some great practice in with their favorite world champ, and he got dinner after a long day.

1 comment:

  1. I just have read your blog and it makes me smile. It is all about livin' the dream. Got to love it!

    ReplyDelete